Post Christmas Chocolate at Sam's Club Part 2

The second Post Christmas buy in Chocolate I found at Sam's a week or so after the holiday was this green bag with a tag reading "Sweet Treats Gift Bag".  This nice, shiny darker green is not just good for Christmas, in fact that holiday isn't what I thought of when I first saw this bag.  I thought St. Patrick's Day which is very big in some parts of the USA and was a small part of my personal family history -- your Chocolate Priestess is part Irish on her mother's side.  I also just happen to love the color green in almost all shades so such a bag would be a great choice to give me a gift for example.  The bag is sturdy and I saved it and the ribbon for future gift giving.  Remember every thing you reuse or recycle may save more land for cacao growth in another part of the world.

Inside this 16oz bag were two different chocolate covered treats.  8oz of "Chocolate Flavored Fudge Covered Marshmallows" and 8oz of "Chocolate Flavored Fudge Dipped Cookies".  It is interesting that both say "chocolate flavored" when the ingredients lists show cocoa and cocoa powder for each, I don't see any artificial cocoa flavor here, only Vanillin.  These two treats were packed in two tightly sealed plastic sleeves that were slipped between tissue paper into the bag and separated by the ribbon wrapped lengthwise around it.

The marshmallows were very good. Soft and sweet inside, a decent darker chocolate with white drizzle over them.  3 of them equaled one serving with 170 calories, 5g saturated fat, 45mg sodium, 1g fiber, 25g sugars, 1g protein but only 2% calcium and iron, not that I was expecting any vitamins or minerals to be blunt.  Last night was family night in my household and we watched a movie and had hot cocoa, varieties we had before and which I've reviewed on here.  I and the Milk Chocolate Acolyte added a couple of these marshmallows to see what they would do.  The chocolate coating took a while to melt but the marshmallow was nice and soft.  Over all it was a nice addition to the large mug I had.

The cookies are 5 to a serving but they require a warning because that serving has 1g of transfat which  you really need to seriously limit in your diet.  That serving also has 150 calories, 4.5g saturated fat, 55mg sodium, 1g fiber, 14g sugars, 2g protein, and 2% of the iron you need daily.  To be blunt these also taste far more like vanilla than chocolate so not eating many of them was no struggle for me since I look for a solid cocoa component.  These are about the size of a poker chip of triple thickness and also had white drizzle on the top.

I'd have been more happy if this had been nothing but the marshmallows in terms of chocolaty taste and nutritional worries.  But for $3 at post-holiday sales prices, this was still a good deal.  Who knows?  Maybe you can find it still in your local Sam's either in this green or another color of reusable bag.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

Comments

mavido79 said…
I love chocolate and marshmallow so these sound really good. I don't know that I'd have ever thought of putting something like that in hot cocoa before so kudos to the Milk Chocolate Acolyte. I may just wander down to the local Sam's Club and see if they have any goodies there.
Oh, lol, it was my idea not the Milk Chocolate Acolyte. He just said "what's the worst it can taste like?"

LOL