Celebrate PopTarts

According to some Internet research your Chocolate Priestess did, it looks like the most common date cited for the introduction of the Pop-tart was on this date in 1964.  That explains why I grew up seeing them since they are older than I.

Pop-tarts are a treat that we buy only a few times a year.  We wait until there is a sale and we have a coupon, we try various flavors.  So today I want to share some of those we've tried over the past year.

We'll start with the Frosted Chocolate Chip variety.  The way these are packaged is insane -- 2 tarts per one foil bag and yet only 1 tart is a serving.  How many of you honestly eat just one at a time?  If you do you are getting 210 calories in this flavor with 2g saturated fat, 240mg sodium, <1g fiber, 18g sugars, 3g protein with between 2 and 10% of eight vitamins and minerals.  If you eat two of them, double those numbers.  Most people I know eat two since they are packaged that way.

This isn't so much frosted as it is drizzled with some chocolate as you can see in this photo.  I find I like them better if I toast them on one setting higher than the box recommends and I have heavy plastic tongs I can easily remove them with so I don't burn myself.  Don't worry, the drizzle didn't melt on the machine.  You can see the chips melted a bit and that's fine, I think they taste better warm.  These have cocoa butter, chocolate and cocoa in them and I actually was pleasantly surprised by how chocolaty they tasted.  They also have wheat, eggs, soy and milk if those are concerns for any of you reading.

We also wanted to review a second fairly new flavor, at least as far as I can tell, but then we do not buy Poptarts more than once or twice a year and it just didn't happen for this post.

So what do you all think of Poptarts, Sisters and Brothers?

Comments

CrankieFoodie said…
I'll be honest. While these particular PTs look less offensive than others I've seen, I'm still put off by the high fructose corn syrup and four kinds of food dyes (plus "caramel color") that goes into them.

I'll just keep making chocolate chip cookie bars at home.
Kim Bee said…
My daughter used to love them growing up. She still requests them once or twice a year. I haven't had one in a very long time. They're just a fun way to do something bad for breakfast occasionally.
I agree with you both that these are sometimes treats. There are worst things out there and I think the brand has gotten better over the past decade but not as healthy as many things we could chose to eat for breakfast.
I love poptarts! we dont find them very often in the supermarkets so we have them 2 or 3 times a year! I love all the flavours but i am obsessed with the chocolate chip cookie dough one! sooooo good with a glass of milk! :)
Thanks for commenting, Maggie.

The idea of the Poptart is pretty strong since I see organic versions of it now and not just cheaper knockoffs.
mavido79 said…
Okay, I'm slightly older than Pop-Tarts but I didn't used to like any chocolate flavor... until they came out with S'mores. Yummy!
Age doesn't matter, only a love of chocolate!
S.V. said…
I love pop tarts!!!! Seriously though I do love them and want them, but I don't get them except maybe once every few years. As a kid I had no issues with eating them as an adult my jeans want to fit more often than not so I live through my son and let him eat them when he wants them. That's fair right?
S.V., thanks for reading and commenting. I think PopTarts are not as bad as some people fear. The biggest problem is that one serving is one pastry not one sleeve which holds two of them. I really think that packages should reflect serving.
briarrose said…
Who can eat just one when the pack has two? That always cracks me up. ;) I used to have such the PopTart addiction....now I only dive in on rare occasions.
Packaging is a big psychological factor in how people eat and if they think they are getting a good buy. What if the poptarts came just in the box and one inside wrapper?
Cooking Rookie said…
I've never tried chocolate poptarts, but I certainly would love to :-)
They shouldn't be hard to find, Cooking Rookie. In fact there are so many flavors now, there are many chocolate and cocoa choices. Just depends on the store really.