Meet Candy Artist Heather Hilbrink

A lot of people just like looking around the Web.  We find one site that interests and they mention a product or event or person we then check out.  Isn't that in part why we call it the Web because it connects things together not in a linear fashion but in a multi-layered, multi-pronged way?  I found candy artist, Heather Hilbrink, one day just looking around and she was kind enough to answer some questions for us, Sisters and Brothers.  We've talked with painters who have worked with chocolate before but this is our first candy artist.  Enjoy this interview and leave our guest some comments please.


Heather, do you consider art to be your primary career?

I hope to, soon, consider my candy art as part of my primary career.

How long have you been an artist?

I created my first candy art piece in Spring 2008.

What is your training in the arts?

My BA is in Media/Communications and Art with a Digital Art minor.  Although there isn't a class where I learned how to make artwork out of candy, I can definitely say that the classes I took allowed me to pursue it.

How did you get started in using candy as a material for your work?

I have always loved candy (who doesn't!?)  In college I began doing digital candy collages for a digital design class.  In 2008, during my junior year I had to create my own artwork to appear in a group art show at school.  Knowing that my pieces would involve candy, my cousin helped me brainstorm the idea of taking my digital candy collages and creating actual candy pieces.  That year I created life-size James Dean and Marilyn Monroe completely out of candy.  Since then my unique hobby has become something I am very passionate about.

Does chocolate pose any particular difficulties to work with compared to other types of candy?

The only difficulty when using chocolate in my pieces is the fact that it melts when not covered with a candy shell (like M&Ms).

Is chocolate better for some works of art than for others?  

Chocolate is a perfect addition to edible pieces.  It is delicious and due to the time sensitivity of the edible piece, melting is not a concern.

Do you consider your works to be edible or visual or both?

Absolutely both!  I make pieces of all shapes and sizes, framed and unframed, edible and non-edible.  I mostly make non-edible for show pieces but I am always happy to make an edible piece for a show or special event.

Where could our readers check out more of your work online?

My website (is the best place) but my work can also be found on deviantART (username: HeatherHilbrink) and on Facebook

Thank you, Heather, for talking with us today.  Sisters and Brothers, go and check out Heather's work.  Think about her the next time you want to do something more unique as an edible gift.

Comments