Nuts to These Recipes!

I had never heard of "healthy" Sahale Snacks until I was offered a chance to try them. Then after I got my samples I started seeing them everywhere in my local Kroger store and discount department stores. Normally I don't accept products that have tree nuts unless there are other varieties that are nut-free because  my husband gets jealous but in 2016 I've decided that I try my responsibilities here for all of you very serious and if I think a chocolate or chocolate related product is worth my time, I'm going to accept it. Calling being more "open" for this year. I hope you all will start leaving more comments so that I know (beyond the website tracking) that someone out there is reading what we write for you all. I received several samples and a $1 off coupon from Sahale Snacks via the Crowdtap program to eat, try in recipes, review, and spread my review on social media; no other form of compensation was received for my honest opinions about these snacks.

The bars were for "adventuring" which sadly I can't really get my husband to do much of any more. He was all into this smartphone game called Ingress for a while that you might have heard of but now I'm mostly playing it alone... anyway my adventures are going to be mostly homebound but I still came up with a few very simple recipes using the two pouches of Sahale Snacks that I was sent. The Honey Almonds Glazed Mix doesn't have chocolate but I added cocoa to oatmeal and came up with this idea. Ingredients marked with a * were received free from my local grocery loyalty card at some point in the year.

Sahale Enhanced Instant Oatmeal with Cocoa
By: TammyJo Eckhart, PhD

Ingredients:
1 pouch instant oatmeal*, natural maple and brown sugar flavor
2/3 C water
1 tsp baking cocoa
1 1.5 oz pouch of Honey Almonds Glazed Mix from Sahale Snacks

Directions:
1) Bring water just to a boil in the microwave.

2) Mix in the oatmeal and stir in cocoa.

3) Place back into microwave for 30 seconds.

4) Stir the oatmeal again then sprinkle the pouch of Sahale snacks on the top.

5) Stir in the snack pieces then eat!

Warning: The Honey Almonds Glazed Mix has tree nuts but also cranberries, and sesame seeds if you you happen to be allergic to any of those foods.

The other super simple recipe I tried out was using pudding and Sahale Snacks Pomegranate Vanilla Flavored Cashew Glazed Mix. Again nothing chocolatey about the actual snack product so I had to find something chocolatey to do with it and this was easy. The pudding was free from KozyShack as part of the Cookies for Kids charity I participated with in December 2015; I'll review it later by itself.

Layered Cashew Pudding Dessert
By TammyJo Eckhart, PhD

Ingredients:
1 cup of KozyShack Dark Pudding
2 Servings of Reddiwip Topping
1 1.5 oz Sahale Snacks Pomegranate Vanilla Flavored Cashews Glazed Mix

Directions:
1) Get out all of your ingredients.

2) Start with a pudding layer, then add some of the nuts, more of the pudding, more of the nuts, more of the pudding, and more nuts.

3) Top with the whipped cream and the last of the nut mix.

The nut mix has a strong sweet flavor but it doesn't overwhelm the pudding. The added crunch and texture make this an interesting dessert to enjoy. I'd have it again and I'd share it with guests though I'd use a much lower calorie pudding, perhaps one I made myself!

There you go, my two super simple recipes that you can say "Nuts!" to. What do you think?

Comments