World Coconut Day Is Unreal

I bet you never thought we'd get back to more Unreal Candy,  huh? This is the wonder of the internet and publishing online: we can test samples months and months ahead of time, write up our articles and then release them at a specific date. Today is World Coconut Day, a fun food holiday created by the Asian and Pacific Coconut Community (APCC). So today we are going to look at Unreal Dark Chocolate Coconut Peanut Butter Cups which I've seen in a blue bag containing 9 of them. Now I know some of you who have been reading for a while are concerned because I, Your Chocolate Priestess, has made it clear that she is not a fan of coconut. No fears, if it turned out that I couldn't objectively judge this product I shared it with 7 others who gave me their opinions. Back near Halloween 2016, Unreal through the Tryazon program sent me this bag of treats to test out, write about, and share with others; no other form of compensation was received in exchange for this honest review.

I have only seen this product in the 8 piece blue bag that I was sent; I haven't seen this in stores around me. As you can see below each individual wrapped cup has the silver wrapper we've come to associate with Unreal and the "Unreal" logo in the same color as the bag itself. This cup is the same size as the others -- 1.5 inches across and 0.25 inches thick clocking in at 80 calories but this time it has 50% fair trade certified ingredients including sunflower if that is an allergic issue for you. This includes desiccated coconut so I'm a bit concerned because what I don't like about coconut is not just flavor but the texture. That said, this is dark chocolate and there still should be peanut butter so how bad can it be?  I made a promise to you and to myself to try things made of chocolate so I try this one. The scent is not as strongly chocolate as with their other dark cups that I've tried; the chocolate coating feels less firm in my fingers as well though it does start melting very quickly. The cups makes a soft sound when I take a bite and then a light crunch as I chew. The inside is creamy and peanut buttery and quickly that flavor overtakes the initial coconut flavor as well as the texture of the shredded coconut meat. I don't find it yucky just not as wonderful as their dark chocolate peanut butter cups. What did coconut lovers I shared it with think of the cups?


The seven people I shared these with were very split in their opinions. For those, like me, who aren't big fans of coconut the flavor seemed very intense. Since I really coconut and I didn't find it too intense this was just a reminder that each person will have a unique experience with any type of food or drink. For those who like or love coconut, the flavor was "subtle" and "good" and they liked the blending of the peanut butter, coconut, and dark chocolate. Everyone appreciated that these were only 80 calories and 5 grams of sugar but agreed that each cup was much smaller than a traditional peanut butter cup.

Now you tell me, Sisters and Brothers. Have you found these and given them a try? What did you think about them? If you haven't found them, will you try to find them now?

Comments

Karen said…
I stumbled upon those this past spring, and fall into the category of your non-coconut hating tasters. I'd buy them again if I found them, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to special order or anything, as there are a few other dairy-free options that I seem to see more often (Justin's, etc).
Thank you, Karen, for commenting and telling us about your experience with this. Does Justin's have an equivalent product? I've seen a lot of their varied nut-butters which can be a big problem if someone is allergic to tree nuts.
Karen said…
Here's the Justin's ingredient list for the dark chocolate ones. Organic Dark Chocolate (Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar, Organic Chocolate Liquor*, Organic Cocoa Butter*, Organic Soy Lecithin, Organic Vanilla), Organic Peanuts, Organic Powdered Evaporated Cane Sugar, Organic Peanut Flour, Organic Palm Fruit Oil**, Organic Cocoa Butter, Organic Vanilla Flavor, Sea Salt, Organic Soy Lecithin.

So, just peanuts, not one of their mixed butters. Sadly, this disclaimer, though, so probably not safe for the highly allergic:

Contains peanuts and soy. Contains trace amounts of milk and tree nuts due to processing on shared equipment.
Oh, I didn't explain well in my question back to you. I was wondering if you'd had a Justin Coconut flavor one. I've never seen a coconut version from them.