Fragrant and "Expensive" Chocolate Treats You Make at Home

I don't always bake from scratch though I do from time to time. As you have seen on The Chocolate Cult, we are happy to test out mixes from brands as well as use ingredients they send us to make desserts, snacks, drinks, and even entreés. When we review a prepared food or drink item we describe it using five senses but when we are cooking we often leave those senses out because we are more concerned with how the mix or ingredients work out. Today we are going to look at an oil I was sent to test out as a health treatment but really can be used for cooking as well. I was sent this Nature's Way NutraVege Omega-3 Plant Based Liquid Supplement- Vegetarian, Vegan- Strawberry + Orange Flavor, 6.8 oz to test out via the Amazon Vine Program in exchange for reviewing fairly and honestly it on the Amazon.com website. No other form of compensation was received nor was this blog article expected by either Amazon or NutraVege.

As a healthy item, you are supposed to take 1 teaspoon of this to get 500mg of omega-3 into your diet. My good cholesterol is very good and to be blunt, I don't have money to have cholesterol levels checked to determine what taking this for the 40 days worth of product there is in this bottle would do to my health. I can tell you that the strawberry and orange scent was very strong but I didn't taste anything different from vegetable, canola, or olive oil. Yes, I did taste those oils I had on hand to compare. Oil by itself is not something I really want to taste ever again. I thought adding this to something I was cooking or baking might make for a interesting twist to our normal sensory joy of food.

First I added it to a creamy risotto dish. I just added 1 tablespoon of it, substituting this for my regular olive oil. It worked exactly as the other oil did in that dish. The scent was very different but the flavor was not affected.

Second I used this in place of vegetable oil to make these treats -- individual brownie cheesecake -- so I used 1/3 cup in that case. The fragrance was powerful and interestingly now we could taste some orange and some strawberry even with that amount spread over 15 servings.


This is expensive! Seriously over $27 dollars for 6.8 ounces, not something I would ever use for cooking if I bought it, getting it free to taste bad this experimentation possible. However, if you have the money or have a special event coming up that you think the taste and fragrance of this product might help you with, please follow the links to check it out. Doing so will provide a small fee to our founder as a Amazon Associate and encourage her to keep working on this blog for us all to learn from and enjoy.

Comments