Two Candy Favorites Falter

The Chocolate Priestess grew up eating m&ms and Reese's products like I'm sure several of you, Sisters and Brothers, did.  While these mass produced candies rarely please me as much as the small batch or higher quality chocolates, I still try to keep up on changes and share my opinions with you all.

Thus when I had a coupon to try the new pretzel variety of m&m's I took the opportunity to buy them and share one of the 2 for 1 result with the White Chocolate Acolyte who happens to love milk chocolate with pretzels or just pretzels by themselves.  One bag equals one serving with 150 calories made up of 3g saturated fat, 150mg sodium, 1g fiber, 16g sugars, 2g protein with minor calcium and iron.

The chocolate here should be good quality since it is both chocolate and cocoa butter not just cocoa.  The chocolate isn't the problem.  The pretzel is so salty it overwhelms the sugary candy coating.  That sugary candy coating overpowers the chocolate easily.  The result is that it is more like eating sugar covered pretzels than chocolate covered ones.

A new product from Reese's whose cups I still must confess a great fondness for, are their peanut butter cremes that come in larger bags.  Again this was on sale and I had a coupon.  3 pieces equal one serving of 190 calories made of 6g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 1g fiber, 16g sugars, 3g protein with some calcium and iron.

I shared these one the two acolytes who live with me and with one of our newest Mocha Acolytes.  Everyone liked them and they did taste like milk chocolate and peanut butter however three of us agreed these were more dry than we expect from something called "creme" while the fourth person just likes the combination of chocolate and peanut butter he didn't mind.  Again this has both chocolate and cocoa butter in it so it should decent chocolate.

I can't say I was pleased by either of these.  The pretzel treats I just can't see myself buying or eating again.  The cremes I might eat if offered but I doubt I'd buy them again.  We have a lot of choices out there, Sisters and Brothers, spend your money wisely.

Comments