Smart Way To Celebrate National Hot Fudge Sundae Day?

That's right, Sisters and Brothers, as you were warned back at the start of this month, today is "National Hot Fudge Sundae Day" and in honor of that I want to talk about healthier choices that might fit the bill to help you celebrate today.

I found these "Chocolate Chip Cookies Dough Sundaes" from Smart Ones on sale at our local Super Target that last year added a fairly big “grocery” section to it.  I say “grocery” like this because the variety of food they offer really pales in comparison to even a modest grocery in this area of the country.  But I was looking around and saw these were a good price so I figured they might make an interesting review for you, Sisters and Brothers.

There are two single servings in this box each with 170 calories.  That includes 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 1g fiber, 100mg sodium, 15g sugars, 3g protein with 4% of the iron and 8% of the calcium you need daily.  Or to use the Weight Watcher lingo since Smart Ones are created by that program, one cups is worth 3 points.

I uncovered the top to let it set out in room temperature for five minutes as directed and immediately noticed this looked quite different from the picture on the box.  I checked out the other serving but it looked even less like the image the company wants  you to see.   Doesn’t that annoy you?  I find it misleading when companies show us the ideal and not simply the best — obviously they want the best to be shown but it should strong resemble what you get.  This is one reason I do my own photos here.  You aren’t getting market or propaganda from your Chocolate Priestess only the closest she can provide to what she sees.

The ice cream tasted like average soft-serve vanilla.  The cookie crust layer is very thin and the cookie pieces didn’t really seem terrible soft even after six minutes of thawing.  But the chocolate pieces and the sauce tasted great and the ingredients proclaim it all real chocolate.  On sale not a bad treat and as long as you don’t serve it to guests you want to impress the eyes of, I think it’s an acceptable choice for you all.

Comments