National S'mores Day Recipe

I rarely do recipes but this month there will be at least two -- this one for "National S'mores Day" and then one for waffles on the day marking the anniversary of the first US patent for the waffle iron.

I've seen a lot of "s'mores" this and that in the past year and each of these recipes has given me ideas but none of them are this particular idea I had tossing around in my head.  The closest recent recipe came from Curry and Comfort's "Easy S'more Brownie" idea but even that wasn't perfect.  I love to experiment with food when I feel there's a decent chance of it working out.  What is the worst that can happen with butter, marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers, right?

For me the big thing missing in most of these recipes was the layering -- graham cracker, chocolate, marshmallow and then graham cracker again.  So I had this idea.  Let's see how it worked out, Sisters and Brothers.

Since it has cooled down some and since I had a friend scheduled to come over Monday night, I decided to work on this recipe idea on Monday.  If it didn't work, I'd have another day to try before the fun food holiday was upon me.  It did work!  So here it is, I hope you enjoy it because you still have time to make it yourself and enjoy it today on "National S'mores Day."

TammyJo's S'more Brownies
1 box brownie mix, Hershey's in the mix
1stick Crisco, butter flavored
1 bag miniature marshmallows
1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 box graham cracker crumbs

Pre-heat oven as directed on the brownie mix -- I used a glass 7 X 11 pan so that affects the temp and the time.


Pour condensed milk into a large pan and warm on low heat.  Add in marshmallows.  Let them heat while do you do the next step.









Blend together the Crisco with the graham cracker crumbs until smooth. 







Stir the marshmallows, lower heat if you see any golden tones on the bottom.

Make the brownies according to the directions on the box.  You may want to add a bit more water to make it easier to spread out but not very much or it won't be as fudgy and dark tasting.

Stir marshmallows until almost smooth and turn off the heat.


Press 2/3 of the crumbs into the bottom of the pan, you may want to grease or spray it.







Pat down crumbs then pour brownie mixture on the top.  Try to smooth it out but it was a bit thick.  Next time I might add in more chocolate syrup, weak type, to thin it out just a bit.  I liked how it didn't rise much and stayed very fudgy and dark tasting though I would have liked it to reach the entire edges.




Stir the marshmallows and then pour these over the top and smooth these out.  Don't worry, this layer should not burn with the next and final top layer.






Now sprinkle the remaining crumbs and smooth those out.  Now it is layered just like a S'mores would be -- graham cracker, chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker.






Bake as directed on the brownie mix.

The result is a nice layered effect where the brownie part remains very fudgy, the crumbs hold together decently, and the marshmallows remain very sticky.  Do not put this in the refrigerator unless you want it to turn into a rock. No, you want to eat this and I recommend doing so with a fork or spoon after it cools.  Make sure you let it cool or the marshmallow layer can burn your mouth.

Don't forget the Visit the Activia Selects Facebook page to get your FREE coupon now!  You have until August 15, 2011 to get a free coupon using this link.

Comments

mavido79 said…
This looks very decadent and it's the third s'more recipe I've seen today. Can't wait to try them all.
August 10th was the appropriate day for such recipes given the fun food holiday.
briarrose said…
Excellent treat. I love all the different layers.
Thanks, briarrose. That was my big goal after seeing a lot of various "s'mores" recipes. It was a bit nerve racking since I'm not a big recipe sharer as you all know.