Rolo Revisited

If you see or hear "Rolo" what do you think of? Do you think of the Hershey candy which is caramels covered in milk chocolate? Did you know that this candy was invented in the U.K. in 1937 and only became available in the American market in after 1969. It was first created by Mackintosh’s an English confectionary originally known for it's toffee. After a fire destroyed a manufacturing facility, the new building was able to start making chocolate by 1912. Obviously they turned to toffee and chocolate at first but caramel isn't that far from toffee, right? Mackintosh's went through a series of mergers with other companies over the years and one of these, with Rowntree opened the American market to them.

In the USA, Rolos have been around as long as I've been alive. I've ground up with them in my life. Frankly I think they taste the same now as I remember them from my youth. Primarily we use them in my family during the winter holidays when we have them in wrapped singles and use them for markers in our holiday BINGO game. After that I'll bake or make candy with them for the rest of the holiday season. But it is still a nice treat to just enjoy a few.

Do you enjoy Rolos? When and where? Leave a comment and let me know.

Comments