Get Chocolatey (and Gluten-Free) for National Crêpe Day

National Crêpe Day is Friday, February 2, 2018. I've never tried to make crêpes before but I got this mix, Kember's Gluten Free Crepes Mix , 18.6 oz package, to test out and decided to not just be brave and try making crêpes but to also experiment with adding chocolate and cocoa to them in various ways. I didn't only use the resulting crêpes with chocolate but we also had more savory crêpes, too. Basically we made one Sunday evening a crêpe party! Have you ever done that? Had a crêpe party? How'd that go for you? Leave me a comment and let me know. I got this mix through the Amazon Vine program in exchange for testing the product and reviewing on their website; this article for all of you is bonus for them. No other form of compensation was received.

For the first batch of crêpes I followed the directions but used ingredients that I had on hand (skim milk, egg whites, and light butter) to make plain crêpes. But the directions didn't say for how long to cook them. So I turned to a friend of mine who is a whiz at making crêpes and sometimes brings them to our monthly ladies' brunch. She said to cook them about a minute per side. She also suggested using a frying pan and then just flipping out the crêpe to cook while you start another one. Yes, this did create more pans to clean up but it made them work out without breaking and I think overall it may have save just a touch of time.The first one I made got a bit darker because the no-stick spray I used as directed got a bit too hot but it didn't burn. I ended up with a stack of 20 plain crêpes from this 18.6oz bag. 20 was what it said it should approximately make. I placed waxed paper between each of them as the bag suggested, too. The result were crêpes that alone were 83 calories.



But the bag made far more than the 20 crêpes it said it would on the nutritional information. With the opportunity of extra batter I was able to experiment for us all. I added 1T of cocoa powder and whisked that in thoroughly. The cocoa crêpes didn't need to cook any longer than the plain ones and they actually flipped over easier.


These were a touch more calories at 85 a piece. The resulting flavor was a very light cocoa but I think they look kind of cool and added an extra dessert option to our "crêpe party" for my family.There are many ways to enjoy crêpes. Here are just a few ways my family enjoyed them.

chocolate crêpes, cream, mini chips
Cream with mini chips and cacao nibs

Nutella and Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter with dried cranberries and blueberries

I really liked this mix. If you are gluten-intolerant or allergic to wheat flour this is made with rice and tapioca flours; of course, some of you may be allergic to those, too. But this may be an option you want to check out.

Comments